Sunday, June 25, 2017

Vinyl Review: "The Battery Line" by Quin Galavis

The Battery Line
Let's say a few  nice words about mile stones if you don't mind my going off on a small tangent before we get into the meat of this review.

It doesn't seem all that long ago when a band first had two album reviews here, but that was nearly five years ago.

Today, Quin Galavis becomes the first artist to get the vinyl treatment for a second time. (Confidentially, there's another one in the kitty though.)

Glacially Musical is rapidly closing in on our 1000th post. In fact, this is post number 997. In my life, there's been a lot of t hings I've done, but this one is certainly among the longest, most successful, and very satisfying. You may have noticed that for the past two weeks I was a bit off the grid, just because, a break from this behemoth was required. As a small site that we do on the side, it's hard to keep up all of the content.

Thank you for enjoying the ride with us.

Quin Galavis
Here at Glacially Musical, we do not presume, but we do interpret, at least when the mood hits.

What makes great art is the ability for the consumer to be enveloped by it. The truly great works have no real meaning, because we all get out of them what we will.

Galavis's previous album felt like the soundtrack in my head during my episodes.

Now hopefully it didn't come across that my personal issues were horribly crippling. Mine is very minor compared to what others have had to deal with. With safe spaces and some therapy, my life has really changed.

So, Galavis creates one album that's full of rage, anger, and strings. It speaks to the me that cannot get enough Slayer, Carcass, Coffin Dust, and Morbid Slaughter.

My Life In Steel and Concrete was a tough listen because it hit very close to my home, but it was cathartic.

The follow up, The Battery Line, hits just as close to home. By talking, by living, by seeing that the what happened to me in the past doesn't mean it's going to return, my mind has become....sunnier?

It's not a perfect place, but the roof's only leaking in two or three places rather than the downpour.

How is it this man is able to write albums that hit me so hard? Part of me wishes he would stop and the rest of me is salivating over his next record.

To be more specific to those who don't feel the same way as me....The Battery Line is a vast departure from My Life In Steel and Concrete. What the predecessor was to Metallica, the current is to Quiet Hollers.

Where there was dark, crunchy rock, there is now hook laden, jangle pop. There's nary a distorted guitar on this album. Now, where there were strings before, well, there are still strings. Thank the maker, because the usage of strings on this and the previous album were magnificent.

The music portion of the review has to stop here, because if it doesn't, it's going to be true confession time and frankly, I'm not ready to divulge all of my secrets.

The record is pressed onto a slab of 180 gram black vinyl and it's sturdy. Much like Construct, Playkool records have nothing on this.

The artwork is far more avant-garde. The circle melting into the nothingness.

As with every Super Secret Records release we've reviewed thus far, there is a download coded included with record.

This is another stellar release from both the artist and the label.

Release: 6/16/17
Genre; ???
Label: Super Secret Records
Facebook
Order


No comments:

Post a Comment