Thursday, April 19, 2018

Vinyloscopy with 20 Watt Tombstone

20 Watt Tombstone
Let's head up to Snowy Wisconsin. A close friend lives in Green Bay and the pictures they're sharing on Facebook of 30 to 40 inches of snow in April.

Well, it makes me look at the 30-40 degrees we were getting before the needle climbed up to over 50 and I must confess myself jealous of their delicious never ending winter.

Has anyone see Queen Jadis, The White Witch of Narnia riding around up there? 

On the plus side, 20 Watt Tombstone did get to enjoy our St. Louis weather when they were here last week for the War Goat Festival. 

Just before we go any farther, they've got a deluxe and expanded edition of Death Blues Vs The Dirty Spliff coming out on May 18th. Check that out if you haven't already. Be sure to keep your eyes on their Merch Store for that.

Though, I'm reasonably certain they could not bring anything back with them. This is of course is a rambling re-introduction to these gents. 


1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

I'm always partial to Black Sabbath on vinyl. As a kid the first record I owned on vinyl was Black Sabbath Paranoid

(The) sentimental value of that record on vinyl is huge but it just sounds better on vinyl. Either that or Led Zeppelin II is another one.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?
     
Vinyl just looks cooler. The collectability is cool but its the one medium impossible to really capture any other way. You can record it to CD but its not the same.

I think that's why vinyl has become big again. Its unique sounding and can't truly be duplicated.

3. For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?


Most of my collection is newer. Since I spend a lot of time in a van unfortunately most of the music I listen to is digital while driving. 

Most of my record collection is newer and mostly regional or touting bands we know.


4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my late 90's receiver, vinyl pream, with a 70's turntable and 70's 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.


I have an old denon turntable and a technics reciever. Nothing fancy.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning? 

Artwork and liner notes are always interesting to me. I always feel the need to check them out.


6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?


I always tell people vinyl is outselling everything else. For us on the road and online we sell more vinyl than CDs or digital. 

Plus you cant get a CD with blue and red starburst!




7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?


I don't like live albums on vinyl honestly. Just a personal preference. I like hearing all the little cracks and pops..for me the live albums being a bit more noisy, it takes away from the sound and feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment