First off, that title feels a little bit misleading. See, this isn't an artist called Matt of Plastic.
Certainly there's a band by that name right? Well, a quick google search does not reveal an act by this name. So, this name is UP FOR GRABS!
What we are doing is talking with the drummer from the group Plastic. They recently released a new record on Sweet Low Records and you can check it out HERE.
1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?
I think the best albums I've heard are the oldies, man.
While remastered digitals will have a better mix, the original on vinyl is just mega. I'm gonna have to go with Fantastic Planet by Failure.
It sounds perfect on vinyl.
2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?
I remember I was helping my dad clean out our attic and I stumbled on his and my mum's old collection.
There was loads of cool stuff in there ranging from Sex Pistols, all the way to bloody Diana Ross. I broke out his old player and out on some Police and immediately fell in love.
3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worth, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?
Pretty much all of the physical music I own is on vinyl.
I have music on the obvious streaming services but I'll regularly go out hunting to find something I don't have yet. I'd rather go and find it in a little independent owned shop than some big market store.
4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my late 90's receiver, vinyl preamp, with a 70's turntable and 70's 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.
That set up sounds amazing.
Unfortunately all of my dad's stuff has seen better days and is out of use. I'm currently rocking some massive silver multi unit until I can save up to get a really nice system.
I'm looking at getting a Pro-Ject Elemental III. I've got a big preamp so I just need the turntable and some big mad speakers.
5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?
Definitely something I'll do.
Usually in between beers or stuffing my face. One of my favourite things to do is have friends round and have a big ol' listening party. They'll bring their favourites and I'll bring down my several boxes of vinyl to pick from.
6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?
I usually just laugh. People always want to make you feel bad about something you like doing.
If they're that bothered about something that doesn't affect them, I really couldn't care less about their opinion. But I mean more limited editions doesn't sound too bad ay?
7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?
I don't think I own a live album to be honest. I've got that many there's probably one knocking around in there.
I think my favourite live album in general is probably the Nirvana Unplugged album in New York. I could probably get it online but I've been trying for so long to find it. Incredible album.