Tuesday, July 17, 2018

LP Review: "Banker's Hill" by El Ten Eleven

Banker's Hill
In my quest to wrangle up all of the world's avant garde music, these travels have brought me to El Ten Eleven.

To begin with, I don't even understand the name of their band.

However, pressing on is needed. There was a time ten years ago when bass players were deemed a luxury rather than a necessity.

Most folks probably blame The Black Keys for that, but Local H, I'm looking at you.

El Ten Eleven is an instrumental prog rock post something or other duo, but they have neither a bass nor a guitar, but a multi-instrumentalist whose usage of looping pedals gives the sonic appearance of both bass and lead guitar playing simultaneously. This is a hard thing to wrap my head around honestly.

In the truest honesty, this record sounds to me like a post-synthwave album. It's got the water making the Grand Canyon kind of thing going on, but then hopeful melodies are played on top. Even though I've listened to this album straight through twice so far, it's hard to get a proper handle on it.

Like any great instrumental music, it takes time to get inside of what's going on. Is this an electronic record? Is this a happy record? Thankfully, I've loads of time to figure out the answer to all of these questions and probably many more.

Release: 8/10/18 Top Shelf Records ORDER FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment