Friday, April 26, 2019

Classic Spins with Grass

Grass

It's been a little while since we've spoken about the hip new stoner band on the block, GRASS, but here let's back to it with them.

If you're like me, you're ready to kick on your over drive pedal and plug your Gibson into that sweet Orange Amplifier for some dulcet tones.

We could talk all day about their sound and latest album, but we did that HERE already.

Today we're getting all in on their Classic Spins.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

My favorite concept album is definitely Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater. I think as far as raw talent goes, the classic Dream Theater lineup is pretty hard to beat.

That album is them at their best both in terms of songwriting and sheer ability. As far as story and synopsis goes it’s great as well with an album plot revolving around murder and deceit.

Also I want to give a special mention to Coheed and Cambria. Almost all of their albums are concept albums and I think they’re highly underrated when it comes to newer bands in progressive rock/metal.

Claudio Sanchez is a brilliant songwriter and guitarist.

2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.

Tell me about your favorite live record?

Alive! is certainly up there! I love classic KISS, theatrics and all. My personal favorite is the live recording of Soundgarden at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle from the early 90s.

It’s on the deluxe edition of Badmotorfinger and I think really shows the band at their peak. Chris Cornell’s vocals sound amazing as well.

Those songs are so hard to sing and the fact that he’s able to sound even close to how he does in a studio live is just incredible.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

When I’m angry I tend to go for some classic thrash metal. Master of Puppets by Metallica or Killing Is My Business by Megadeth definitely come to mind.

As for sad, Sunbather by Deafheaven. I don’t think anyone does the “sad-heavy” style of music as well as Deafheaven does.

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc.

What's the strange one that you love?

I love Technical Ecstasy by Black Sabbath. I know Sabbath’s mid-late 70s output is certainly not revered like their early stuff and at that point all kinds of things were really getting to the band (drugs, money, personal issues, etc.), but there are some great songs on that album.

In particular I really love “Gypsy” and “Dirty Women”, the album is super underrated.

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

I have the 2002 version of Blizzard of Ozz with re-recorded bass and drum parts by Rob Trujillo and Mike Bordin as opposed to the original lineup of Lee Kerslake and Bob Daisley.

I know there was some controversy around that release and I think that album should have been left as is, the original recording is a classic. I’m definitely not here to judge Sharon or Ozzy for anything though, they’ve done pretty well for themselves in life.

I also have the Through the Never soundtrack by Metallica that’s basically just live concert versions of the songs used in the film. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t even a little bit tempted to pick up all of their deluxe editions re-released on Blackened as well.

Metallica is really good about digging through their archives to find unreleased stuff for fans. Also I think the fact that they own all of the master tapes for their albums on Elektra now and can re-release them on their own label is impressive and inspiring.

As musicians I would imagine we all would want that kind of creative control and ownership over our music.

No comments:

Post a Comment