Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Foods We Love With Gates To The Morning's Sean Meyers

Sean Meyers of Gates To The Morning
Well my friends, is there anything in this world better than talking to a drummer? I think it could be argued that it's been too long since we've allowed  a drummer to climb out from under the bridge in order to give us their personal brand of crazy.

I said it and I'll stand by it: drummers are crazy.

So, in order to give you that does of what in the world are we talking about today, allow me to point you into the world of Gates To The Morning's Sean Meyers.

I don't really know the man, but he has to prove to me he's not crazy. In the meantime, check out this record he and his friends did on BANDCAMP.

1. For me, lunch is usually the meal where I don't have to deal with the Napoleon of Food. So it's my favorite meal. What's your best meal of the day?

Breakfast, I love everything about it.  That’s why the band is called Gates To The Morning, it’s all about breakfast.  

Eggs and Potatoes and Pancakes, and so much more.  I can eat breakfast food at anytime of the day.

2. What's your most important meal of the day?

I would say breakfast again but in reality sometimes with a hectic schedule I end up skipping breakfast.  But then I just have a breakfast at 1pm, so I guess that’s still breakfast.  

Yes, it’s all about breakfast.

3. In St. Louis have a local delicacy called the slinger. What's your hometown's delicacy? We prefer this to be an expose...tell us what only the locals know.

Well apparently it is only in Northern New Jersey that we call it Taylor Ham.  I don’t know what other people call it, Pork Roll I think?  

But in North NJ its called Taylor Ham and that sounds much more appetizing than “pork roll.”  The rest of the nation needs to get with it.  So the "go to” where I am from is the “Taylor Ham, Egg, and Cheese (salt, pepper, ketchup).”  

I have shifted to a healthier diet in the last several years so its not common that I have one anymore, but when I do I still enjoy it.

4. Breakfast. When I'm not taking down a slinger, it's all about bacon and breakfast potatoes/hash browns in my house. What about you?

Did someone say breakfast?  Potatoes are everything to me, there is nothing that can come between me and potatoes.  

Eggs and potatoes and some A1 sauce or something similar.  I don’t eat as much meat as I have in the past but from time to time you have to throw some bacon or Irish sausage in there.  

I have shifted my diet much more to fish over the last decade and recently it has shifted to a lot of smoked salmon.  

My girlfriend is Norwegian and for breakfast she cooks eggs, potatoes and smoked salmon on an english muffin and it is the best.

5. I like my coffee cold and my tea with milk in it. What's your preferred caffeine delivery device?

Coffee makes me neurotic.  Every once in a while I tell me self I can drink it and after day 3 I am totally dehydrated and paranoid.  

I really have to cut out all caffeine but I very much enjoy teas and matcha is really great. Yerba Mate makes me want to challenge a grizzly bear to a wrestling match. 

I think if its a real pure and clean source of caffeine I can handle it.  Otherwise I start to conspire about ridiculous shit and run my mouth a bit too much.

6. I've largely stopped drinking soda, because I could use those calories for beer. Where are you at here?

Growing up as a kid I was a soda fanatic.  I lived for Coca-cola, when I was 12 years old I could drink endless amounts of coke and I usually did.  

Looking back I very much regret that. The calories never got to me but its just not good for your nervous system and overall well-being. 

And the sugar is the absolute killer.  My substitute for soda has become Kombucha over the last 5 years or so.  It’s very healthy and satisfies that specific craving that I used to go to soda for.

7. Best beer/spirit/whatever?

I do love beer.  There used to be a company called Wolavers that brewed incredible organic beer, and even for people who are too cool for anything labeled “organic” it was excellent.  

Sadly they went out of business a few years ago and I have been mourning ever since.  However, shortly after I did find a great company called “Peak Organic” which has stepped up become one of my favorites.  

Their New England IPA is particularly awesome.  I also enjoy german beers, and am especially fond of "Rothaus Pilsners" these days.  

Finally, I do enjoy a good Imperial Stout and “Old Rasputin” takes the prize there.  Not to mention Rasputin is one of my favorite figures in history, I believe we are long lost brothers.

8. I'm a Philistine when it comes to pairings. I just drink what I want with my food. What about you?

I do try my best to pair properly but I am by no means a connoisseur.  However I am pretty mindful of pairing food with beer.  

I was in Norway last summer and one of my stops was Flåm, where they have the Ægir brewery connected to the Flamsbrygga restaurant.  

There they serve this Viking plate where they match five beers up with five different dishes and it was incredible.  I had it 3 nights in a row and its killing me that I can’t have it right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment