Monday, April 22, 2019

Vinyl Review: "Punish The Stars" by Archons

Punish The Stars
Before we get going for true, let's talk a little bit. One of the things that folks online like to bug me about is my feeling on the current state of the music industry.

So, let's get that out of the way.

This is said by me, without hyperbole, exaggeration, and wholly truthfully: Right now, as fans we are living in the absolute best time to be a fan of music.

On the flip side (pun intended, it is a vinyl review after all.), artists are living in the worst time to make any damned money off of being an artist. Humanity has chosen to devalue art in all of its forms and has started stealing it en masse.

This is why my journey with the vinyl record began. There's no long history for me. During the heady days of my youth, cassettes were our currency. After some time doing the endeavor that has become Glacially Musical, the need to buy new music had ceased.

There isn't enough time in the month to listen to the music that's sent to me on a daily basis. That's how buried I, a semi-pro, amateur is. So, it occurred to me, there's a turntable in my closet. It could be hooked up to one of the receivers in my house.

Then I could start buying records and that would be supporting the art and the industry that's treated me so well.

So, one of the amazing things about music in 2019 is that you can connect directly with the music makers. On one such occasion that encompasses both of these things, I purchased Lords of Light and Thunder by Archons. Because of the existence of Bandcamp and Facebook, it was super easy to buy the record directly from them.

Well, all of that technology created a snafu and my order didn't kick to them. After an appropriate time, they were contacted by me. Needless to say, the band was horrified at what happened and they wanted to do anything and everything to make it right.

Despite all of my legitimate protestations, they sent me an extra record. Being a believer, like Mr. Svenning, in one good turn deserves another, they're getting a vinyl review.

Needless to say, that first album was truly amazing and that's why I spent my cash in order to get it. As is the case in many instances, the previous catalog was unknown to me. So, here we are and I'm looking backwards.

It's hard to say if this is a band that has grown by leaps and bounds, but Punish The Stars is a thunderous album that could have easily inspired the title of their next record.

In most cases, bands can grow and mature. My favorite example is Metallica. It's hard to believe that the band who recorded Kill'Em All is the same band that made Master of Puppets. No matter what you think about those guys, it's obvious they never felt like they'd found their formula.

Take away all of the trappings of a band who'd shattered the world of music and created a style that was to be emulated by thousands of other bands, and look at that debut record in context, and you have a band who could and would, do better as their career wore on.

And...if we're being honest, that album is only a mediocre grade thrash record. I said it. Come at me.

Archons are different in that regard. Their debut is far more polished. They found a way of making music and telling tales at the very beginning. It's kind of an unusual happenstance for a band to do this right away.

As the record continues pumping through my speakers, not loudly enough, it's it would be impossible for its internal groove to escape my notice. It doesn't have the swing of a Pantera or White Zombie record, but gives off musicality that's often times missing in heavy music.

By no means is this a mellow record. It'd definitely puts a serious thumping out. It's just so all encompassingly musical. These guys have crafted a sound that's heavy, musical, and phenomenal.

From top to bottom, these guys can flat out play, write, and record. As Darren Pang would say, they don't have any passengers on their bus. All hands are on deck, playing, and crushing it.

There's a lot going on and it's something you need to hear every second of.

The cover... based on what they did after this, is lackluster. It's not something that tickles my personal fancy. It comes off as bland to me, but maybe the meaning is lost on me?

The art is a bit matte-y, if you take my meaning, but the record itself is gorgeous.

Translucent snot green with black splatter.

Kiss fans who recently received their Sound of Vinyl orders for the debut album should be exceptionally jealous. It's got a strong splatter which works amazingly well with the green.

Warping on the disc? Not a touch of it. it's perfectly flat and has the perfect clarity and warmth that vinyl afficianados will pontificate endlessly about online.

It's the perfect pressing of an amazing record.

OUT NOW BANDCAMP FACEBOOK



No comments:

Post a Comment