Monday, April 8, 2019

Classic Spins with Mike Cummings of Backwoods Payback

Backwoods Payback
Awhile back we were introduced to Backwoods Payback.

It was one of those things where this band had been around forever, but the natives of West Chester, PA had just never crossed into my orbit.

That reminds me, Future Slum, was released on vinyl and it's probably about time I go and pick that stuff up.

Now because they've got so many records out, we're going to talk to them about the music everybody else has released.

Because that's how we do.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. 

What's your favorite one and why

Oh man, would you believe it took me a while to figure this one out?! I think I narrowed it down to two. “Red Headed Stranger” by Willie Nelson and “Crack the Skye” by Mastodon. 

The Willie record it took getting older to realize that its one story throughout the entire thing. The Mastodon one is just so powerful that from the moment I hear it from front to back it stuck with me. 

Seeing them play that record in its entirety is a high point for me for sure!

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.

Tell me about your favorite live record?

I am guilty of hoarding bootleg tapes of my favorite bands since the early 90s. NONE of them are “real releases” but those are always my favorites. 

Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Faith No More shows from 90-95 are probably my favorites of all time. As far as official releases I have to put Misfits “Evilive” up there. Its so fast and so raw. 

I think I wore that tape out twice!

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

Another hard one! I think sometimes my mood determines the music and other times the music can determine my mood. 

I don’t know that I get real angry very often, but I definitely lean towards the pensive/intense side. Rollins Band “End Of Silence” never fails to get me there and push me through whatever I’m being confronted with. 

Sad times, man that is ALWAYS Neil Young “Tonight’s The Night” and “On The Beach”. One of the most trying times of my life was losing my best friend. Those records both held my hand through it all….and still do.

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?

AHHHHH dude. That Metallica record is just…NUTS. And as a huge pro wrestling fan I am forever grateful to that record for the line “I AM THE TABLE” (botchamania 4life!). 

I’m not sure I have a misfit toys record for a band BUT I have maybe a misfit toy band. “Lemonade and Brownies” by Sugar Ray is so fucking good. 

I don’t care what anyone says, that record (their first) is so much fun its so heavy and funky and dancey. I put it on at parties and people always get down with it UNTIL they know who it is. Whatever! 

I have no shame, that album RULES!

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

As a matter of fact I JUST got the live version of “Toinights the Night” from Neil Young this week. He wrote that record over a month, jammed it nightly with his band for that time and then played 4 shows as the opening band of the Roxy Club in LA. 

They were all recorded in 1975 but were just finally released this past year. It is PERFECT. Its dark, humorous, heartbreaking, with mistakes and all. 

Kind of like me I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment