Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Classic Spins with Lakeman

Today, Lakeman is going on the Classic Spins train.

These fellows are making a big name for themselves in the outer rim territories of British Columbia.

That's what they call Kelowna right? I'm probably confusing that with Star Wars as the pod races in St. Louis were canceled last night.

Either way, their latest progged out EP was released on Jan 10th. 

You can check it out on BANDCAMP and own it for the less than five looneys. In fact, two twonies and one looney, and you'll get change back.

Anyway, enough of me.
1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

Favorite kind of album? Or favorite album? Favorite kind of albums are the albums I don't fully understand or like at first, I love albums that challenge me to wander outside my comfort zone. 

The first time I heard S.O.A.D.'s self-titled album I thought it was a satire record making fun of the metal genre, which at the time I was the biggest metalhead. Slowly it grew on me and it made me start to think about music differently. 

I started listening to way more varying styles of music. It really opened my mind. But I hated it at first.

Favourite album: Sigur ros (). Music has always been able to make me cry tears of cathartic pain. But Sigur Ros's () made me cry tears of joy for the first time ever. I will never forget feeling so happy to be alive through a simply listening to a song.

 2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of anyone.

Tell me about your favorite live record?

Pantera's: 101 proof as I said in the aforementioned question, at first I f@%#ing hated this album when it arrived with my Colombia house package of CD's. A cool kid on the bus said it was good and should get it. 

As I started to learn guitar and bass I started to learn harder and harder riffs as a 90's kid eventually I was introduced to thrash and death metal and 101 proof was ready and waiting. I feel like all thrash band music is better live. It needs to be unhinged and raw to feel the energy of that style of music. The riffing should be rough because the guitar and bass players can't see their fretboards due to their hair swirling around their heads.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad? 

That is really tough to answer. There is the kind of mad or sad I get that music is not the best idea for me, I might need to vent more than listen to music. 

Then there is the kind of angry or sad I get that the cathartic music helps.

Top 5 tracks to blast on the way home from a shitty day of work:

1) Irrational Gaze-Meshugga
2) Eyeicide-Car Bomb
3) Armada-LLNN
4) Little Sara D-The Murderous
5) DNA-Kendrick Lemar

Top sad cathartic tunes:

Anything by the electronic producer "LORN", 
most of the Radiohead discography, 
the track "Electric Pyramid Co." By Jason Molina.
and of course Jeff Buckley's cover of Hallelujah.

If you want to feel someone sadness and angry all at once listen to Skeleton Tree by Nick Cave. I personally can't handle it. it was the album he wrote while grieving the death of his son. it's f*$%ing devastating. 

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc.

What's the strange one that you love? 

Diabolous En Musica by Slayer is seriously underrated. 

Most Pearl Jam fans worship the album "ten" and they all seem to think they more less get worse as the years go on. Personally while the songs on ten"are really good, there are some later songs off of "Yield" and "Binaural" that are so much more evolved and dynamic. Also I the production sounds REALLY 80's soft rock at certain points.

Most of my metalhead and Rock friends are surprised by how well versed in bluegrass, hip-hop and Jazz I am. I am a banjo player in a traditional bluegrass band. There isn't much I bite my thumb at musically. I love it all!

One that REALLY confuses and scares my metalhead friends is my dear love and admiration for Beyonce. For me,the track "Love on top" is an anthem for love and gratitude for my friends and family and the vocal harmonies are insane!

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?  

I went to see Roger Waters re-release Darkside of The Moon. It was insane. When he opened the first set with "set the controls for the heart of the sun". I lost my mind. 

I was busking outside of a John Fogerty show one night and someone dropped a free ticket into my case. He was touring the whole green river album. The concert brought me to tears. I used to dance with my mom in the living room as a boy to C.C.R. 

She is no longer mentally stable and it has been a long road for me and my family but hearing "Looking out my back door" live took me right back to dancing with my mom in our living room and I was home again. Strange how music kind of be a time machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment