Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Pink Floyd Deep Diving #1: Adjusting The Lens

Source Material
Good afternoon.

During the mandatory at home orders we have in the City of St. Louis, I'm going to need to do something to fill my time a little bit. The idea here is to create a nexus of everything Glacially Musical is about and many, many things it's not about.

For starters, my blog is dedicated to the metal underground, but Pink Floyd is one of those bands that most metalheads of my generation and generations to come all seem to love.

They're not metal, but they are heavy in many different ways....which we'll get into as time wears on.

So, let's discuss what's happening with this series. For starters, this is bonus content and will not take any space way from what I already do. But, without the 2 hours a day in the car, there's a bit more time for writing.

This is is my project.

Before we move into the meat and potatoes as it were, it's only appropriate that I tell you my story with the great and mighty Pink Floyd.

My journey began around 1990. It's hard to say for certain. At that time, it was my belief that Classic Rock was the way and all music had peaked at that time. Oh, ho ridiculous that was....
.
But my cousin showed me The Wall the movie, not the album. Then he introduced me later to Ummagumma and the Roger penned tune, Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave and Grooving With A Pict. It seemed pretty cool at the time.

But do you see? My journey with The Floyd began with Roger Waters.

To this day, his magnum opus remains my personal favorite album in any genre, any format, and his 2015 live recording of it might be my favorite live album.

Mind you, Pink Floyd, is not my favorite band.

That's just how indelible an effect this music left upon my 14 year old self. The next Christmas, I received two Pink Floyd cassette tapes: A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Relics. The final track on the latter cassette also has stayed with me all these years. What I didn't know then, was that it, and a couple others on that oddly adorned tape, were from another era of which I was unaware.

Even with the other, I knew Learning To Fly, as I'd seen that one on MTV, but this was before I knew of bands having changed members, apart from Black Sabbath. This was before I was to begin stockpiling mundane fact after mundane fact about artists I loved.

Either way, neither of those tapes hit me as hard as The Wall, but thankfully, it was only 1992 when I received a copy of it. Then with my first CD player, I received a copy of Roger Waters The Wall Live In Berlin.

It is what it is I suppose.

In later years, my love of the Waters dominated Floyd is what drives my love. As this series continues into the 80s and 90s, it'll become even more apparent as I have all of the Waters solo LPs, 3 bootleg double LP sets, and The Wall live in France.

I will go through every single LP in chronological order, but only the ones I already own on vinyl in my collection.

Apart from having  neither Momentary Lapse of Reason nor The Division Bell on wax, I'll posit that my collection is fairly comprehensive while being incomplete.

The format of these dives will be my going through 3-4 LPs of music at once. I have a total of 33 LPs of Pink Floyd and Related music.

There are several multi-disc sets. But it would be nearly impossible to look at Radio Kaos, Radio Quebec, Amused To Death, and Pulse as singular albums.

With this series, I'm hoping to acquire a greater appreciation for Pink Floyd's NON-Roger Waters contributors.

Sadly, there will be material from neither Nick Mason nor Rick Wright, as I just don't have it.

Sit back, and let's move forward...by going backward.

No comments:

Post a Comment